Misnomers in Hand Surgery
Hand surgery literature is full of disease names and terms. Some of them are misnomers, which are misleading to physicians outside the specialty. Therefore, we decided to collect all misnomers and provide them via this paper. Considering development of sciences in future, perhaps avoidance from new misnomers is impossible, but awareness of this fact, lead us to be more ingenious in interpretation. On the other hand, we believe his collection would be interesting for most specialists in hand surgery and as well informative for others.
2. Yoong P, Johnson CA, Yoong E, Chojnowski A. Four hand injuries not to miss: avoiding pitfalls in the emergency department. Eur J Emerg Med. 2011; 18(4):186-91.
3. Campbell CS. Gamekeeper's thumb. J Bone Joint SurgBr. 1955; 37-B(1): 148-9.
4. Brown M. Why “bone bruise” is a misnomer [Online].[cited 2013 Mar 6]; Available from: URL: http://www.tsaog.com/connect-learninteract/ blog/2013/03/06/dr-marvin-brown-on-why-bonebruise-is-a-misnomer
5. Green D, Wolfe SW. Green's operative hand surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders/Elsevier; 2011.
6. Smith RJ. Balance and kinetics of the fingers under normal and pathological conditions. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1974; (104): 92-111.
7. Hendrickson R. The facts on file encyclopedia of word and phrase origins. 4th ed. New York, NY: Facts on File;2008.
8. Neviaser JS. Adhesive capsulitis and the stiff and painful shoulder. Orthop Clin North Am. 1980; 11(2): 327-31.
9. Segen JC. The dictionary of modern medicine. Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press; 1992.
10. Etymology. Greek Etymology of Ganglion [Online].[cited 2015]; Available from: URL:http://www.myetymology.com/greek/ganglion.html
11. The Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Institute. Orthopedic and sports therapy in the Dallas fort worth area [Online].
[cited 2015]; Available from: URL:http://www.osmifw.com/patient-resources/osmifwpatient-tips/hand-therapy/
12. Minors D. Thumbs up for hand surgery unit five years on [Online]. [cited 2012 Feb 9]; Available from: URL:
13. Jonsson K, Eiken O. Development of carpal bone cysts as revealed by radiography. Acta Radiol Diagn (Stockh).
1983; 24(3): 231-3.
14. Heifetz SA, Galliani CA, de Rosa GP. Myositis (fasciitis) ossificans in an infant. Pediatr Pathol. 1992; 12(2): 223-9.
15. Pierson JC. Dermatologic manifestations of pyogenic granuloma (Lobular Capillary Hemangioma) [Online]. [cited 2014]; Available from: URL:http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1084701-clinical
16. Eismann EA, Cosco ED, Wall EJ. Absence of radiographic abnormalities in nursemaid's elbows. J Pediatr Orthop. 2014; 34(4): 426-31.
17. Clarke MT, Lyall HA, Grant JW, Matthewson MH. The histopathology of de Quervain's disease. J Hand Surg Br.1998; 23(6): 732-4.
18. Flatt AE. Tennis elbow. Proc (Bayl Univ Med Cent).2008; 21(4): 400-2.
19. Ames EL, Bissonnette M, Acland R, Lister G, Firrell J.Arterial anatomy of the thumb. J Hand Surg Br. 1993;18(4): 427-36.
20. Ramirez AR, Gonzalez SM. Arteries of the thumb:description of anatomical variations and review of theliterature. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012; 129(3): 468e-76e.
|Issue||Vol 2 No 3-4 (2015)|
|Hand surgery Misnomer Orthopedics Physicians Terminology|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|