Simultaneous Helicobacter Pylori Infection in Gastric Mucosa and Gallbladder Mucosa in Patients with Cholecystitis; Is There Any Relationship?
Background: This study aimed to assess the prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastric and gallbladder in patients with acute cholecystitis or symptomatic cholelitiasis undergoing cholecystectomy.
Methods: 43 patients with biliary disease (cholecystitis or cholelitiasis) with inclusion criteria were selected in Shahid Modarres Hospital, Tehran, Iran. The data including age, sex, and the presence of Helicobacter pylori in biopsy samples of gallbladder and gastric mucosa for each patient were recorded and analyzed using SPSS software.
Results: The biopsy specimens of gastric and gallbladder mucosa of 43 patients with the mean age of 54.8 ± 9.9 years were studied. 22 (51.2%) patients had acute cholecystitis and 21 (48.8%) had cholelithiasis. Among the gastric samples, 14 patients (32.6%) (9 men and 5 women) and in the gallbladder samples, 19 patients (44.2%) (8 women and 11 men) were positive for Helicobacter pylori. The simultaneous presence of Helicobacter pylori in the gastric and gallbladder mucosa was seen in 6 patients (13.9%). 10 patients (23.2%) were smokers, and 33 (76.7%) were non-smokers.
Conclusions: It can be said that the presence of Helicobacter pylori in gallbladder can play an important role in the creation and spread of the infection. But the simultaneous presence of Helicobacter pylori infection in gastric and gallbladder cannot be a good standard to evaluate the diseases of the bile ducts.
2. Yakoob J, Khan MR, Abbas Z, Jafri W, Azmi R, Ahmad Z,et al. Helicobacter pylori: association with gall bladder disorders in Pakistan. Br J Biomed Sci. 2011; 68(2): 59-64.
3. Durazzo M, Rosina F, Premoli A, Morello E, Fagoonee S, Innarella R, et al. Lack of association between seroprevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection and primary biliary cirrhosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2004;10(21): 3179-81.
4. Xiang Z, Chen YP, Ye YF, Ma KF, Chen SH, Zheng L,et al. Helicobacter pylori and Crohn's disease: a retrospective single-center study from China. World J Gastroenterol. 2013; 19(28): 4576-81.
5. Vilaichone RK, Panarat W, Aekpongpaisit S, Mahachai V. Clinical characteristics and Helicobacter pylori statusof gastric cancer in Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014; 15(20): 9005-8.
6. Shukla HS, Tewari M. Discovery of Helicobacter pylori in gallbladder. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2012; 31(2): 55-6.
7. Attaallah W, Yener N, Ugurlu MU, Manukyan M, Asmaz E, Aktan AO. Gallstones and Concomitant Gastric Helicobacter pylori Infection. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2013; (2013): 643109.
8. Guraya SY, Ahmad AA, El-Ageery SM, Hemeg HA,Ozbak HA, Yousef K, et al. The correlation of Helicobacter Pylori with the development of cholelithiasis and cholecystitis: the results of a prospective clinical study in Saudi Arabia. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2015; 19(20): 3873-80.
9. Abro AH, Haider IZ, Ahmad S. Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with calcular cholecystitis: a hospital based study. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2011; 23(1):30-3.
10. Jahani Sherafat S, Tajeddin E, Reza Seyyed Majidi M,Vaziri F, Alebouyeh M, Mohammad Alizadeh AH, et al. Lack of association between Helicobacter pylori infection and biliary tract diseases. Pol J Microbiol. 2012; 61(4):319-22.
11. Waluga M, Kukla M, Żorniak M, Bacik A, Kotulski R.From the stomach to other organs: Helicobacter pylori and the liver. World J Hepatol. 2015; 7(18): 2136-46.
12. Sze MA, Chen YWR, Tam S, Tashkin D, Wise RA, Connett JE, et al. The relationship between Helicobacter pylori seropositivity and COPD. Thorax. 2015; 70(10): 923-9.
13. Silva CP, Pereira-Lima JC, Oliveira AG, Guerra JB,Marques DL, Sarmanho L, et al. Association of the presence of Helicobacter in gallbladder tissue with cholelithiasis and cholecystitis. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41(12): 5615-8.
14. Bulajic M, Maisonneuve P, Schneider-Brachert W,Müller P, Reischl U, Stimec B, et al. Helicobacter pylori and the risk of benign and malignant biliary tract disease.Cancer. 2002; 95(9): 1946-53.
|Issue||Vol 3 No 1-2 (2016)|
|Acute cholecystitis Cholelithiasis Helicobacter pylori|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|